Monday, April 13, 2009

Oral Presentation

Today our group was the last group to present on our report. Being the last group, I guess I was more nervous as I believe we will be compared with the others group. In addition, I believe more is expected from us. For this reason, I stumbled quite a bit during my presentation. Another reason for this nervousness may be due to the lack of presentation opportunities (my last presentation was during my Junior College days). Therefore, the confidence was not really high during the presentation.

Another area I have to improve on may be to reduce my non-verbal actions. I tend to do these actions to calm myself down and also try to reduce the "tense" atmosphere during presentations. I believe that such actions will be inappropriate during presentations.

Lastly, I believe that during the Q&A session, I should try and help answer some of the questions. Today, I didn't answer many questions because I didn't have the confidence in my answer to each of the questions asked. I did not want to convey the wrong message and undo all the hardwork that my team mates have done during the presentation.

Overall, the presentation is an enriching experience and I am really grateful to be given such a opportunity to display my presentation abilities. Thanks Brad.

And finally, I hope that I will be able to find more opportunities to practice and improve on my presentation skills. I believe having good presentation skills will be beneficial to me in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Keldren, Qi Ying and Priya,

    We felt that your group did a great job!

    You first started out as really great by having a well-presented opening and you stated the role of each member clearly. Your slides were very interesting and we liked the fact that your group actually complemented the slides with a video and that you added a lot of pictures to enhance the slides. A point to note would be that there were some pictures with lower resolution and we think that could make your presentation less impressive.

    The macrostructure of the presentation was clear and you maintained effective transition from one speaker to another. We could see that you answered the questions knowledgeably and also as a team. Last but not least, you managed to keep within the time limit.

    Once again, well done guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keldren,

    I was surprised to find out that this was your first OP in NUS! I think you did very well for it. You spoke well and you looked very comfortable in your stance. Your facial expressions and outfit went very well with the theme of your OP. There was the non-verbal, like an unnatural instantaneous slouch; try and do away with it and you'll be great.

    I noticed your lack of participation in Q&A. No worries, the next time round, treat it as though you were having a conversation with the person asking the question. Process the question and answer it with what you have learnt from this project. Remember that you're the expert here, you're simply enlightening the audience on your research topic.

    I believe you'll do well in your future presentations.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Keldren,

    I think you did a very good job for this oral presentation. I was quite surprised that this was your first presentation in NUS as I thought Engineering students did a lot of presentation during year 1. During the oral presentation, you looked very confident and you did deliver your message well as well as give a very good introduction for your group oral presentation.

    However, as mentioned by Roy, you show unnatural instantaneous slocuh during your presentation and this would cause you portray your nervousness to the audience. Besides that, I also realize that you eyes keep looking up when you start a new point. This may cause the audiences interpret that you were memorizing your script. Thus, keep your eye by looking at the audience is better way to avoid such interpretation.

    That's all my feedback about your oral presentation. Overall, I feel that you really did a good job. I hope that my feedback can help you improve your oral presentation in the future.

    Cheers and see you tomorrow!!!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pooi San and Roy for your comment and also the complement(Yes, it is my first presentation in NUS!).

    I didn't realise I have an unnatural slouch, I will improve on that. Another thing is that I tend to look up sometimes during the presentation is because the audiences look intimidating to me. I thank you all for your feedback and I really appreciate it. I will remember all this and improve on it so that my future presentations will be better. Thanks to both of you!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete