Saturday, April 11, 2009

post #7: Final Reflection

Sigh, we have finally reached the last post that we are supposed to write for this module. If only this was a module that could span for 2 semester, which is impossible in NUS. I personally have learnt alot from ES2007S- verbal, non-verbal, inter-cultural, interpersonal conflict and many more. I have the the confidence to say that throughout this course, I have not only developed some good personal skills, my thoughts have also matured. In addition, my writing and language skills have also improved. And most importantly, I have made many new friends. For all these I have learned, achieved and attained I am very grateful for it.

Reflecting on my first post, I guess I have achieved some of the goals that I have set out for myself.

The first is to open up and learn how to communicate effectively. Throughout the course, I believe my confidence to speak up and talk properly has grew enormously. The need to contribute to the class and Brad's "pushy-ness" helped me in this aspect. Now, I more comfortable when it comes to contributing and communicating in class. On effective communication, I guess I still have room for improvements. I still have to brush up on my sentence formation and structuring when I talk to people. Even though I may not be an effective communicator as of now, I hope that through constant practice I will improve and move closer to being an effective communicator.

On my interpersonal relationship, peer-to-peer communications and work, they have all greatly improved throughout the duration of the course. There is now less conflicts between friends and work get done more effectively. I hope these skills that I learned from the course will help me even more in my workplace, once i enter into the working world.

Last is on being successful. Even though there is still quite some time before real success can be determined, I believe that that there is some success in my personal development. These successes include making new friends, developing more confidence
and many more. So I guess that there is some degree of success achieved from this course.

The final thing that I want to say is that, Brad, you are one of the best teachers that I have since I started schooling (apart from the marking and grading), and I hope that you will continue with what you are doing now and I really hope to attend more courses that you are conducting. Thank You!

And to all my new found friends, good luck to those graduating and hope that we can meet up soon during the holidays. Thanks!

Cheers,
Keldren

8 comments:

  1. Yo Kel!

    Can I just tell you something? I think you are gifted in writing! I feel that you are able to communciate deep and sometimes provoking thoughts through your blog post. I like reading your posts, likewise for Priya's. You may seem shy when we first know each other in class, but through blogging, I can tell you are one with "substance". Haha! And as I reflect back now, I think you've improved a lot on your verbal communication skills and interaction skills. This may be because you are "warmed-up" with us already, but I can really see the confidence you've protrayed when you speak up in class. This is especially so during your presentation. It was so much different from the mock presentation. Gambatte k? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps! Sorry! I think I have spelling mistakes there. "Communicate", not "communciate". Typo error! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Keldren, for the praise. I have to admit though that with fascinating topics such as those that we cover in this course, the material nearly teaches itself. I'm merely a "taskmaster," creating chances for you all to practice some the principles that we encounter within different contexts.

    For your part, I really appreciate all the hard work, Keldren, and your willingness to share your views. I did witness a maturation process during the last three months, in you and many others. That can only happen when students like yourself open their minds, make the effort and venture out of their comfort zones.

    I do hope to keep contact with you via Facebook. Keep me informed of your continuing learning journey.

    And all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Keldren!

    I think you have improved quite a bit! I first thought you were really shy and didn't like to speak much. But it seems that over the course, you have displayed alot of cheesy courage! And you're always so positive. What i found most interesting was that though you were often shy in class at the beginning, your blog posts were always so long and filled with your views. It allowed readers to also see from your point of view, if in any case you did not share it aloud in class. It was also shown in your confidence in your oral presentation which I THINK you did really great!

    Thank you for being one of the funny group members during the mock interviews! I'm sure that was quite a memory for grace, you and myself. I'm sure that the skills you have learnt from this course, as you have summed up will definitely help you in the future. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Keldren!

    It’s good to see you developing the confidence to be able to speak up in class. My opinion would be that, confidence did not seem to be an issue from for you even right from the first lesson. I agree that practice makes perfect and it is the reflection of mistakes that we learn to perfect our communication. You appear as down-to –earth person, which makes it comfortable to strike up conversations with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey keldren!
    Less conflicts??? I think we didn't have any conflicts at all:)

    I like your post. It is well structured following the 7C's. It seems you have already mastered the 7C's.I am glad that you have also pointed that there was less conflicts. After all, that is the proof of an effective communication.

    I am also glad that you don't stick to the required number of posts but go on to make other posts which are very relevant to effective communications.This way you help us to develop our skills as well.

    Yes you do appear as a silent quiet person but you definitely prove the saying that a book cannot be judged by a cover(I mean this in a good way). Furthermore, you have an air of friendliness around you making it easy to approach you for any help. As a group member I have also seen your leadership skills on display and I hope you will continue to work on this making it even better than it is at present.

    I'm glad I got to work along with you. I have learnt alot from calories in Milo to staying cool and collected. Wish you good luck and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keldren!

    Double Sigh! Time really fly pass doesn’t it? If this module could really span for more than one semester, it would be totally awesome!

    I enjoyed listening to your thoughts and comments in class as it is always interesting and at times amusing! I am not sure how you were like last time but I think now you are someone who is vocal and not shy in contributing what is on your mind! You definitely helped made class discussions more lively and fun!

    I am glad that you have improved on your interpersonal skills such that there are lesser conflicts between you and others! This is really the result of improved communication skills. Yes, we can definitely apply these learned skills into the working world, and in fact in every aspect of our life!

    By the way, I think your group is always full of vibrancy and it is always fun to see how you all interact!

    Like what I told Qi ying, enjoy and cherish your time as a NUS student and stay in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey all! thanks for all your comments. I guess I will reply everyone here rather than individual post, sorry about that.

    To Grace: Thank you very much for the complement on my writing. I am very flattered. I guess I just enjoy the process of writing. I see every writing opportunity as a way to improve on not only my language but also my thinking. It is always wonderful to have someone appreciating my work. Thank You! And also thanks for noticing my improvements, really nice of you. Thanks once again.

    To Brad: I guess you were a very good "taskmaster", and I really hope you can keep up with what you are doing. And also thanks for noticiing my maturation and improvement; I wouldn't have realised it myself. Thanks. Lastly, don't worry I will inform you on my progress. Once again thank you. Stay in contact!



    To Jane: HAHA! I guess I am the type of person that needs warming up before I open up to others. Glad that you didn't take my "shyness" negatively. Lastly, the mock interview did make an huge impression on me I will never forget it and ,most importantly you two.

    To Nadiah: Thanks for your complement. I guess my confidence has grown throughout this course and I am very grateful for it. In addition, everyone in the class helped me alot and that includes you. Hope to keep in contact! Cheers and Thank You

    To Priya: It is a pleasure working with you too Priya. I did learn alot from you too. I guess I tend to be quiet because of my lack of confidence in speaking properly and also I am a person that need some warming up before I become comfortable with a person. But throughout this course my confidence has grown and I believe that it is easier for me to strike a conversation now. Thanks for your complements and I will definitely work on it. Thank you! Yes! Please keep in contact.

    To Shu Juan: Time does fly past fast. Thanks for noticing my improvements Shu Juan and glad you appreciate my contributions. Haha! Sure, I will keep in contact with you! Meet up for coffee! Since we live so close to each other. Haha!

    ReplyDelete